Sloth
Topic points (SCP): 2
Reply points (CCP): 16

Re: Voat on Aether

Post by Sloth »

antiliberalsociety wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:51 pm
Sloth wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:09 pm
antiliberalsociety wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:07 pm antiliberalsociety
antiliberalsociety, you say that Aether is centralized, but that is not true. It is Free Software (released under a Free licence) and available from sources including the main website and IPFS. The Aether application is cross-platform and runs independently.

It is a peer-to-peer network. So what? That is what we need. It can't be stopped by the admin, a hosting company, unlike an http site, such as voat.xyz or searchvoat.co

Who knows what goes on behind the voat.co or voat.xyz website? With Aether, there is no "behind": you can see all the code for yourself and that is it.

I appreciate the efforts to provide a search voat facility, but this is not just an argument for Voat, the same thing applies to 4Chan, 8kun and all the others.
If you aren't old enough to remember the 2000's, P2P was the favored way to catch movie and music pirates by LE. You are literally connected to other users giving them access to your files.
Aether is text only. You don't share files on it. That has several advantages, including not being spammed by advertising, indecent images and keeping the focus on the discussion and keeping things legal.
If you like, you can provide a link to an image on Aether, of course, and there is a setting to enable thumbnail previews, which is disabled by default for security. There are a few options to enable images only from specified sites or any sites.

Aether is available as an AppImage, so you can run it in a container like that, if you like, to isolate Aether still further. The developers aren't stupid. They are familiar with security issues. Aether operates using a floodnet, and it is difficult to determine which of several nodes is supplying the content on the Aether network. Take a look and try for yourself.
Sloth

Post by Sloth »

You also never addressed people's comments in that other thread. I've never seen a network pyramid scheme before, but I believe I have now.
I have tried responding to some points raised here:
viewtopic.php?p=16558#p16558
antiliberalsociety
Topic points (SCP): 3394
Reply points (CCP): 4462

Post by antiliberalsociety »

Sloth wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:19 pm
Sloth wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:09 pm

antiliberalsociety, you say that Aether is centralized, but that is not true. It is Free Software (released under a Free licence) and available from sources including the main website and IPFS. The Aether application is cross-platform and runs independently.

It is a peer-to-peer network. So what? That is what we need. It can't be stopped by the admin, a hosting company, unlike an http site, such as voat.xyz or searchvoat.co

Who knows what goes on behind the voat.co or voat.xyz website? With Aether, there is no "behind": you can see all the code for yourself and that is it.

I appreciate the efforts to provide a search voat facility, but this is not just an argument for Voat, the same thing applies to 4Chan, 8kun and all the others.
If you aren't old enough to remember the 2000's, P2P was the favored way to catch movie and music pirates by LE. You are literally connected to other users giving them access to your files.
Aether is text only. You don't share files on it. That has several advantages, including not being spammed by advertising, indecent images and keeping the focus on the discussion and keeping things legal.
If you like, you can provide a link to an image on Aether, of course, and there is a setting to enable thumbnail previews, which is disabled by default for security. There are a few options to enable images only from specified sites or any sites.

Aether is available as an AppImage, so you can run it in a container like that, if you like, to isolate Aether still further. The developers aren't stupid. They are familiar with security issues. Aether operates using a floodnet, and it is difficult to determine which of several nodes is supplying the content on the Aether network. Take a look and try for yourself.
How is that any different than here outside of extra steps to take and software to install? Remember when Limewire got shut down? Or Napster? Or Kazaa? You really think that isn't possible on Aether?
antiliberalsociety
Topic points (SCP): 3394
Reply points (CCP): 4462

Post by antiliberalsociety »

Sloth wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:35 pm
You also never addressed people's comments in that other thread. I've never seen a network pyramid scheme before, but I believe I have now.
I have tried responding to some points raised here:
viewtopic.php?p=16558#p16558
Kek.
Sloth wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:32 pm
theBreadSultan wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:12 am It's decentralised, which is very good

Not mobile friendly - bad
Tricky to use at first - meh
Bit slow as is P2p - meh

But I'm feeling it, and from what I understand - can't be taken down
* Mobile - The developer has had a mobile version as a top priority for a long while now. He wants it for himself, as much as everybody else.
* Usability - Trickiness might be because Aether is locked down for your security. Go into settings, enable NSFW communities (everything by default is NSFW). Also, subscribe to the communities, or you won't see any content. Here are some communities to get you going.
* Time - Aether was designed to protect your attention (unlike some apps which wrench you out of your flow every moment). The community on Aether is more ponderous and thoughtful and less chatty than many places. If you post something, leave your client running, as it will help feed the network your content. Also, you may not have properly configured Aether to get through your firewall. Look in settings for info on this. If you haven't sorted it properly, it will take longer.

/b/Sandbox (practice): aether://board/eb5a77bd296488235a94f426974cb9fdb70ba4c2ee52a5b9b2b8256cdd3b9658
/b/Voat (start here and be welcomed: aether://board/f2c944108971c509c3718a43e8bc77d95d3591746241b6a490e537f00122d98d
/b/Vaccines (lots of info about the jab): aether://board/25b8bc1be03eff326d0a4b0c52fb29c8bf375bec1aeba5801bb423977e237268
/b/Politics (as you might expect): aether://board/a570802f2c5f35dff6b47c2a5db8bb2eea65d1994ad18f038ac6c6599d8a6533
/b/LookAtMyNewSub (People introduce new communities): aether://board/667806410ea32ab43aa8a5980247151bb0de5ee4dc585607b7e94ee5621034af
You just now responded now that I said that, why did you leave them hanging back in December? And why has that been your only topic posted here?
Sloth

Post by Sloth »

antiliberalsociety wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:41 pm
Sloth wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:19 pm

How is that any different than here outside of extra steps to take and software to install? Remember when Limewire got shut down? Or Napster? Or Kazaa? You really think that isn't possible on Aether?
I think that those peer-to-peer sites relied on some centralized site for finding the content in the first place. That was a choke point and that choke point was choked. If you are interested in that era, tools like eMule etc, check out MuWire:

https://muwire.com

The muwire developer was active in the scene those days and has recently produced a similar tool based on i2p. i2p is similar to TOR but more secure. TOR relies upon some centralized authority for the DHTs (Distributed Hash Tables). i2p doesn't have this weakness. Even better than i2p is Lokinet, which is like i2p but has low latency, sufficient for video streaming. Session, another distributed application, will soon be supporting Lokinet and I recommend it to you:
htt;s://getsession.org
Sloth

Post by Sloth »

You just now responded now that I said that, why did you leave them hanging back in December? And why has that been your only topic posted here?
If you look at the time stamps in that thread, you can see I responded to a lot of questions shortly after they were made. I am sorry to say that afterwards, I focused on Aether and forgot about this place. It was the time when Voat closed and I was busy doing what I could to "save Voat" on Aether.