Voat on Aether

Welcome to the SearchVoat forum - start here
Sloth
Topic points (SCP): 2
Reply points (CCP): 16

Voat on Aether

Post by Sloth »

https://getaether.net
/b/Voat aether://board/f2c944108971c509c3718a43e8bc77d95d3591746241b6a490e537f00122d98d

Centralized discussion boards are too vulnerable to censorship and subversion. Goats should have learned this long ago, but sheepishly stay in them. I can understand why people want to go where kindred spirits are, but why is it that the leader goats time and time again take people to another centralized site?

Aether is just what the Voat community needs. If you can get hold of the client, it is pretty difficult to censor or monopolize control. There is an unofficial java version. And the maintainer of the official version wants a version to run on mobiles too.

Enable nsfw in settings.
antiliberalsociety
Topic points (SCP): 3394
Reply points (CCP): 4462

Re: Voat on Aether

Post by antiliberalsociety »

Original Voat was centralized, as is your aether because it requires a centralized app to operate. This isn't fight club. Instead of pushing some failed website with code gore,

perhaps act like a goat and contribute here first. Maybe then you'll garner some trust. We've fallen for bait & switches before, simply bombing in without anyone knowing who tf you are and pushing some app on us, whilst attempting to identify as a goat and herd us over there, is kind of insulting. Who the fuck are you and why should we care?

And it appears this has been tackled before. It's fucking P2P

viewtopic.php?t=4
Last edited by antiliberalsociety on Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sloth

Post by Sloth »

antiliberalsociety wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:07 pm antiliberalsociety
antiliberalsociety, you say that Aether is centralized, but that is not true. It is Free Software (released under a Free licence) and available from sources including the main website and IPFS. The Aether application is cross-platform and runs independently.

It is a peer-to-peer network. So what? That is what we need. It can't be stopped by the admin, a hosting company, unlike an http site, such as voat.xyz or searchvoat.co

Who knows what goes on behind the voat.co or voat.xyz website? With Aether, there is no "behind": you can see all the code for yourself and that is it.

I appreciate the efforts to provide a search voat facility, but this is not just an argument for Voat, the same thing applies to 4Chan, 8kun and all the others.
Sloth

Post by Sloth »

antiliberalsociety wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:07 pm Original Voat was centralized, as is your aether because it requires a centralized app to operate. This isn't fight club. Instead of pushing some failed website with code gore,

perhaps act like a goat and contribute here first. Maybe then you'll garner some trust. We've fallen for bait & switches before, simply bombing in without anyone knowing who tf you are and pushing some app on us, whilst attempting to identify as a goat and herd us over there, is kind of insulting. Who the fuck are you and why should we care?

viewtopic.php?t=4
Your image isn't very clear, due to the text you have pasted over it. I can read "Ephemeral". This is a deliberate policy of Aether, to a) help your online life drop off the network rather than being visible forever, and b) it helps keep the Aether network fast.

You can actually change the length of time it takes before content "goes stale" in settings. Also, though it isn't ordinarily visible, it is still possible with some work to dig it out of the floodchain and see it.

A lot of useful content is posted on Aether, and many Aetherians want it to survive and have been using tools like IPFS to archive the best content.
Last edited by Sloth on Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 2149

Post by Deleted User 2149 »

Sloth wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 am https://getaether.net
/b/Voat aether://board/f2c944108971c509c3718a43e8bc77d95d3591746241b6a490e537f00122d98d

Centralized discussion boards are too vulnerable to censorship and subversion. Goats should have learned this long ago, but sheepishly stay in them. I can understand why people want to go where kindred spirits are, but why is it that the leader goats time and time again take people to another centralized site?

Aether is just what the Voat community needs. If you can get hold of the client, it is pretty difficult to censor or monopolize control. There is an unofficial java version. And the maintainer of the official version wants a version to run on mobiles too.

Enable nsfw in settings.
I haven't seen any contributions or even comments from you here. You just breeze in and try to recruit people ?
Last edited by Deleted User 2149 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sloth

Post by Sloth »

CognitiveDissident5 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:23 pm

Enable nsfw in settings.
I haven't seen any contributions or even comments from you here. You just breeze in and try to recruit people ?
I expect Goats to be able to see the reasoning for using Aether and for that to be sufficient persuasion. It isn't a matter of personality, or reputation. You can forget about "me" waltzing in here. Care only about the idea. You can verify for yourself the strength of the engineering and sense behind the arguments. Take a look at the Aether FAQ. Look at the source code, if you want, or send it to somebody who could understand it.

If you think it is better for Voat to remain on a centralized, http site, we shall have to disagree.
Deleted User 2149

Post by Deleted User 2149 »

Sloth wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:01 pm
CognitiveDissident5 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:23 pm

Enable nsfw in settings.
I expect Goats to be able to see the reasoning for using Aether and for that to be sufficient persuasion. It isn't a matter of personality, or reputation. You can forget about "me" waltzing in here. Care only about the idea. You can verify for yourself the strength of the engineering and sense behind the arguments. Take a look at the Aether FAQ. Look at the source code, if you want, or send it to somebody who could understand it.

If you think it is better for Voat to remain on a centralized, http site, we shall have to disagree.
How do you know what I think? I never said I thought anything was better.
antiliberalsociety

Sloth wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:16 pm
antiliberalsociety wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:07 pm Original Voat was centralized, as is your aether because it requires a centralized app to operate. This isn't fight club. Instead of pushing some failed website with code gore,

viewtopic.php?t=4
Your image isn't very clear, due to the text you have pasted over it. I can read "Ephemeral". This is a deliberate policy of Aether, to a) help your online life drop off the network rather than being visible forever, and b) it helps keep the Aether network fast.

You can actually change the length of time it takes before content "goes stale" in settings. Also, though it isn't ordinarily visible, it is still possible with some work to dig it out of the floodchain and see it.

A lot of useful content is posted on Aether, and many Aetherians want it to survive and have been using tools like IPFS to archive the best content.
That isn't the text that I have pasted over it, that's how the page displays from the fucking link you provided. You also never addressed people's comments in that other thread. I've never seen a network pyramid scheme before, but I believe I have now.
antiliberalsociety

Sloth wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:09 pm
antiliberalsociety wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:07 pm antiliberalsociety
antiliberalsociety, you say that Aether is centralized, but that is not true. It is Free Software (released under a Free licence) and available from sources including the main website and IPFS. The Aether application is cross-platform and runs independently.

It is a peer-to-peer network. So what? That is what we need. It can't be stopped by the admin, a hosting company, unlike an http site, such as voat.xyz or searchvoat.co

Who knows what goes on behind the voat.co or voat.xyz website? With Aether, there is no "behind": you can see all the code for yourself and that is it.

I appreciate the efforts to provide a search voat facility, but this is not just an argument for Voat, the same thing applies to 4Chan, 8kun and all the others.
If you aren't old enough to remember the 2000's, P2P was the favored way to catch movie and music pirates by LE. You are literally connected to other users giving them access to your files.
Sloth

Post by Sloth »

That isn't the text that I have pasted over it, that's how the page displays from the fucking link you provided. You also never addressed people's comments in that other thread. I've never seen a network pyramid scheme before, but I believe I have now.
I think I can see the section of the website you tried to screenshot. Here it is:

The page renders ok on TOR browser and LibreWolf. Maybe try one of those.
Aether isn't a pyramid scheme. The software is available gratis, and will remain so. The developers have another project which they run in the hope of funding continual development of Aether. (Aether has been going for several years already, by the way.) If you are interested in the other project, it is Aether Universes: https://aether.app These projects are independent of each other, but the developers hope that the http interface of the newly released Aether Universes might help better onboard people to the Aether application, which is excellent.
Last edited by Sloth on Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.