On Boer culture

Deleted User 2149

On Boer culture

Post by Deleted User 2149 »

I've made a distinction between Boer culture and general South African culture, because you only find this in Boer culture in SA.

It is a sign of respect to address anyone older than you as "Aunty" and "Uncle". Of course you also call your actual aunts and uncles "Tannie" and "Oom".

Any man or woman, boy or girl younger than me will call me "Tannie" (whether they are known to me or strangers). As will my actual nephews (or they would had I not given them strict instructions NEVER to call me Tannie and to call me by my first name). In turn, when speaking to any man or woman older than me, I address them as "Oom" or "Tannie".

Obviously you only do this in the Afrikaans language, never the English language - since Boers speak Afrikaans.

An endearing thing I once saw: an older White man was mugged by 2 Coloureds (not blacks/bantus/kaffers). The attending police officers were Coloureds and when speaking to the man in the back of the ambulance, they addressed him as "uncle". (They were clearly disgusted and disappointed that Coloureds had done this to the man and they told the fuckers that in no uncertain terms when they rounded them up and cuffed them).
Thisismyaccount
Topic points (SCP): 3702
Reply points (CCP): 5606

Re: On Boer culture

Post by Thisismyaccount »

Showing respect for seniors. Wish it was still that way here, but it's not. Mores the pity that the younger generation just doesn't get it.
antiliberalsociety
Topic points (SCP): 3394
Reply points (CCP): 4462

Post by antiliberalsociety »

Thisismyaccount wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:41 pm Showing respect for seniors. Wish it was still that way here, but it's not. Mores the pity that the younger generation just doesn't get it.
OK boomer!
Thisismyaccount
Topic points (SCP): 3702
Reply points (CCP): 5606

Post by Thisismyaccount »

;)