House of Secrets: 9 children hidden for years in Oklahoma home found after police tip

Investigating corruption, child trafficking and abuse uncovered in the WikiLeaks Podesta emails.

Moderators: Heisenberg123, Vindicator, EricKaliberhall, darkknight111

brwn
Topic points (SCP): 406
Reply points (CCP): 263

House of Secrets: 9 children hidden for years in Oklahoma home found after police tip

Post by brwn »

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article ... 566185.php

d run. Cole let them stay at one of her homes as she worked with police, without the family knowing.

On Sept. 21, police surrounded the home, but the dad wasn't there.
"They asked me if I knew where he was, and I said, 'Well, he said he was at the other house and said he was coming back,'" Cole said. "So I called him and said, 'Hey, the police are at the house.' He said, 'Did they see the kids?'"
KOCO 5 asked what the feeling was inside of the home.
"I was hurt because my dad took forever to come," the 23-year-old said.

The adult children were left alone with their secret siblings, waiting for their dad to face up to the crime.
"I am amazed and shocked that I’m looking at this entire family I have never seen before," Cole said. "I have seen bits and pieces. And the condition that the little kids were in, I never imagined."
Court documents revealed the children had poor hygiene, foul odor, lack of dental care and were sleeping on one heavily soiled mattress on the floor. Investigators said two of the children were nonverbal.
After three hours, the dad finally showed up at the home.

"I stood there on the porch. I didn’t get to see his face, but I saw him from the porch," Cole said. "That was one of the most satisfying days of my life to watch him get in the police car."
Both mom and dad were arrested. The father was charged with three counts of sexual abuse, five counts of child neglect and three counts of child abuse.
His wife was charged with multiple counts of enabling neglect and sexual abuse.
Those who lived in the home said they saw her as a victim and didn't think she should be arrested.

"I never thought that dad would touch us or say anything sexual to us," the 20-year-old said.
Court documents revealed a child told forensic investigators that her dad had touched her "privacy" because "he was a doctor."
"How did you watch that? How did you hold your daughter’s hand while she’s having a baby by your husband?" Cole said.
Now, the adult children live in Cole's home and work for her.

"I can’t hate them because hate is a strong word. I can only forgive them. I can only forgive my dad and leave the rest of it to God’s hands," the 23-year-old said.
They're now enrolled in school.
"I’m doing better on my reading. I read a book yesterday," the 23-year-old said.
They have their first IDs, are learning how to drive, and are working to get their sister's children back to her from state custody.

"You have a 26-year-old who can’t read or write. How can she teach her kids how to read or write?" Cole said.
KOCO 5 asked if they felt grateful that Cole intervened.
"Yes, because she was helping us out," the 23-year-old said.
Now, Doris hopes the community can wrap around the family and lift them up as they navigate life for the first time.

Article continues below this ad
"It’s hard because I’m the one who did it, but I’m also the one taking care of them. I’m hoping that anyone who wants to help is a genuine help," Cole said. "They’ve already been lied to and hurt their entire lives. I’m hoping their journey and the people they meet along the way remember that."