[TIL] SearchVoat was started 5.6 years ago, to solve Voat's search problem.

MadWorld
Topic points (SCP): 1276
Reply points (CCP): 2987

[TIL] SearchVoat was started 5.6 years ago, to solve Voat's search problem.

Post by MadWorld »

whois

Domain: searchvoat.co
Registrar: Tucows Domains Inc.
Registered On: 2016-09-08
Expires On: 2022-09-07
Updated On: 2021-09-09

https://web.archive.org/web/20220121184 ... ev/2598937

PuttItOut 3.6 years ago

Search is a huge issue for Voat simply because of it's size. We simply do not have the indexing structure in place to facilitate this at the time. If Voat's db was small (oh how I long for the old days) we could turn it back on and it would work, but right now a query can significantly impact CPU and locking.

Search is something we had to put off until we had the means to address it correctly (dedicated backend and separate code devoted to it).

Plus, the search we had was elementary and not worth a damn.

link
go1dfish 3.6 years ago

This ^

Search is something that could be provided by a third party as well if someone wants to step up.

If pushshift can provide a better reddit search than reddit, certainly someone who wants it could build a search for this lower traffic place with the api:

https://redditsearch.io

link

SearchVoat 3.6 years ago

That's exactly what I did nearly 2 years ago, and SearchVoat.co is actvely maintained and running well (AFAIK).

@PuttItOut please consider putting the search bar back in the sidebar linking to SearchVoat.co.

link
It has been providing service for 5.6 years and it has continued to hold Voat's history!!!
Deleted User 2149

Re: [TIL] SearchVoat was started 5.6 years ago, to solve Voat's search problem.

Post by Deleted User 2149 »

Impressive! 8-)
MadWorld

Post by MadWorld »

CognitiveDissident5 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:56 pm Impressive! 8-)
Poal also has primitive search engine. It should let big boy @SearchVoat do the job :lol: :lol:
shewhomustbeobeyed
Topic points (SCP): 246
Reply points (CCP): 2041

Post by shewhomustbeobeyed »

MadWorld wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:02 pm Poal also has primitive search engine. It should let big boy @SearchVoat do the job :lol: :lol:
Why would you want SV to sully himself by having anything to do with that fucktard aou?

Don't you listen to @MadWorld, @SearchVoat.
Unless you want to, that is. My stomach isn't strong enough for that place. But i do miss FNGT.
MadWorld

Post by MadWorld »

shewhomustbeobeyed wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:59 pm
MadWorld wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:02 pm Poal also has primitive search engine. It should let big boy @SearchVoat do the job :lol: :lol:
Why would you want SV to sully himself by having anything to do with that fucktard aou?

Don't you listen to @MadWorld, @SearchVoat.
Unless you want to, that is. My stomach isn't strong enough for that place. But i do miss FNGT.
:lol: :lol: Did you know that faggot AOU would not let new accounts use its search engine nor view user's profile page? FNGT called that place a guest playground, not a home. So they tried to be respectful on poal.
shewhomustbeobeyed
Topic points (SCP): 246
Reply points (CCP): 2041

Post by shewhomustbeobeyed »

MadWorld wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:27 pm :lol: :lol: Did you know that faggot AOU would not let new accounts use its search engine nor view user's profile page? FNGT called that place a guest playground, not a home. So they tried to be respectful on poal.
I used to use my account there to follow/read some of the users posts, and to explore the site. When they made it so you had to have points, to do those things, I stopped going there. Seems like that was about 9 months ago, or so. still miss FNGT, idgaf about their lameass reasons for staying there, i just miss them. :(
Deleted User 2149

Post by Deleted User 2149 »

shewhomustbeobeyed wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:37 pm
MadWorld wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:27 pm :lol: :lol: Did you know that faggot AOU would not let new accounts use its search engine nor view user's profile page? FNGT called that place a guest playground, not a home. So they tried to be respectful on poal.
I used to use my account there to follow/read some of the users posts, and to explore the site. When they made it so you had to have points, to do those things, I stopped going there. Seems like that was about 9 months ago, or so. still miss FNGT, idgaf about their lameass reasons for staying there, i just miss them. :(
Many people will compromise their standards and values just to have somewhere to post. That's the case on loli too, people tolerate paedo smut in exchange for the privilege of being able to post.