Is there real interest in a voat clone?

Information or requests regarding possible replacements for Voat

SparkS
Topic points (SCP): 0
Reply points (CCP): 3

Re: Is there real interest in a voat clone?

Post by SparkS »

for me this is good enough...
SearchVoat
Topic points (SCP): 298
Reply points (CCP): 795

Post by SearchVoat »

SharpSliceOfMango wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:20 am Flokinet would be one example, they host wikileaks.
Thanks, looking into this.
ArcturianDeathTrap4
Reply points (CCP): 26

Post by ArcturianDeathTrap4 »

SharpSliceOfMango
Topic points (SCP): 13
Reply points (CCP): 21

Post by SharpSliceOfMango »

This is why you need to register your domain at a different provider than your server. You hide the server behind something like cloudflare so no one knows where you host your content. Another approach would be how dailystormer is doing it, they registered the domain over some china registrar and they host their content at VanwaNet, a "deepweb" service provider.
Professorballsagain

Post by Professorballsagain »

I would definitely be interested. I'm very grateful to have this forum in lieu of Voat, but holy shitballs I nearly fucking had a stroke this morning when I realised Putt...well Puttitout
Please do it if you can. I'm a mere talentless professor, but I'll test or do anything I can if I can to help.
SharpSliceOfMango

Professorballsagain wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:08 am I would definitely be interested. I'm very grateful to have this forum in lieu of Voat, but holy shitballs I nearly fucking had a stroke this morning when I realised Putt...well Puttitout
Please do it if you can. I'm a mere talentless professor, but I'll test or do anything I can if I can to help.
I will start writing the software. I try to finish it faster than my initial estimation because I can also use it for something else. The software is going to be open source (GPL). I'm going to host it and its going to be as free as voat was. The code is written from scratch and I optimize everything for high loads/traffic so it does not crap out every 5 minutes like voat did. And I make it more anonymous, no logging, additional .onion service etc. The design and features will be the same as voat and then extended once its running.
B3bomber
Topic points (SCP): 2
Reply points (CCP): 12

Post by B3bomber »

SharpSliceOfMango wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:38 am
Professorballsagain wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:08 am I would definitely be interested. I'm very grateful to have this forum in lieu of Voat, but holy shitballs I nearly fucking had a stroke this morning when I realised Putt...well Puttitout
I will start writing the software. I try to finish it faster than my initial estimation because I can also use it for something else. The software is going to be open source (GPL). I'm going to host it and its going to be as free as voat was. The code is written from scratch and I optimize everything for high loads/traffic so it does not crap out every 5 minutes like voat did. And I make it more anonymous, no logging, additional .onion service etc. The design and features will be the same as voat and then extended once its running.
If you can nuke the JS requirements voat had, that'd be awesome.
SharpSliceOfMango

B3bomber wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:41 am If you can nuke the JS requirements voat had, that'd be awesome.
This is planned. The site automatically falls back to a somewhat reduced plain HTML version if no JS is supported by the browser or blocked with noscript. A .onion version for the paranoid would not make sense with JS. I have already some code lying around for stuff like this so its not going to be an overhead.
qwop
Topic points (SCP): 1

Post by qwop »

SharpSliceOfMango wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:55 am This is planned. The site automatically falls back to a somewhat reduced plain HTML version if no JS is supported by the browser or blocked with noscript. A .onion version for the paranoid would not make sense with JS. I have already some code lying around for stuff like this so its not going to be an overhead.
This sounds great. Can you also make the JS requirement low enough so it works on older computers? Voat had JS, but it worked on pretty much everything I threw at it. Poal on the other hand is very picky, which sucks if you prefer to run on anything but the latest Chrome or FF.
SharpSliceOfMango

qwop wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:04 pm This sounds great. Can you also make the JS requirement low enough so it works on older computers? Voat had JS, but it worked on pretty much everything I threw at it. Poal on the other hand is very picky, which sucks if you prefer to run on anything but the latest Chrome or FF.
Yes it should run on something from 2012. But we can test and tune this once the alpha version is hosted. First step is to get all the core features working and then bug fixing and enhancements.