Is there real interest in a voat clone?

Information or requests regarding possible replacements for Voat

B3bomber
Topic points (SCP): 2
Reply points (CCP): 12

Re: Is there real interest in a voat clone?

Post by B3bomber »

Yes there's interest.

Dark mode.

We need some level of control that was lost on Voat (spam anyone?). There are many problems to work out for a moderation system. That's before the whole Voat was expensive to host problem.
SharpSliceOfMango
Topic points (SCP): 13
Reply points (CCP): 21

Post by SharpSliceOfMango »

Sloth wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:04 am There is a great initiative like this that has been around for ages: https://notabug.io
The problem with notabug and poal is that they censor to some extend. poal banned users from voat and notabug also did this. Just because some users are trolling does not justify to ban them from the whole site. At least the site admin should not do this, this should be for the individual sub moderators to decide if they want to ban someone for their sub.
mikenigger
Topic points (SCP): 0
Reply points (CCP): -31

Post by mikenigger »

Voat was only used for non-PC posts, some of that energy used to call eachother a niggerfaggots should be put to use by the admins.

Something like voat needs a bigger team, maybe monthly threads like "State of the Voat" where info on impending doom can be shared by the admins, derived from statistics, etc so it doesn't just slide into irrelevance while everyone calls eachother faggots. The fact that it's hands-off moderation doesn't have to mean no interaction with the community.
Last edited by mikenigger on Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeaceSeeker
Topic points (SCP): 1
Reply points (CCP): 65

Post by PeaceSeeker »

There is already a Voat clone, and I suspect we will be hearing more about it in the days to come.
SharpSliceOfMango

mikenigger wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:57 am The fact that it's hands-off moderation doesn't have to mean no interaction with the community.
I think that was putts biggest mistake. No life signs, no canary updates, nothing. He could at least have done a message every week to show people that he is still alive.
Vindicator
Topic points (SCP): 95
Reply points (CCP): 266

Post by Vindicator »

Fateswebb wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:56 pm
Germ22 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:24 pm poal is essentially a voat clone already. It was build by old goats when voat was in trouble a while ago.
poal is putitouts site, which at this point I think its possible that putitout sold us out... to shut voat down.. so why should I use his new site so he can do that shit again? otherwise why is he abandoning the url??

THIS URL! shows this..
https://voat.co/v/whatever/4171434/26912802

https://archive.is/g2VWw
That, to me, looks like Putt trolling the Poal guy who made the submission recruiting people. He's threatening to send a herd of wild goats to Poal to "exercise their free speech" which generally involves subject matter that puts a target on the backs of investors and admins.
Vindicator
Topic points (SCP): 95
Reply points (CCP): 266

Post by Vindicator »

PeaceSeeker wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:59 am There is already a Voat clone, and I suspect we will be hearing more about it in the days to come.
You don't say! That is excellent news!
Nosferatjew
Topic points (SCP): 70
Reply points (CCP): 197

Post by Nosferatjew »

PeaceSeeker wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:59 am There is already a Voat clone, and I suspect we will be hearing more about it in the days to come.
Go on....
ReAwakened
Topic points (SCP): 0
Reply points (CCP): 0

Post by ReAwakened »

B3bomber wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:26 am That's before the whole Voat was expensive to host problem.
Why was VOAT expensive to host?
SharpSliceOfMango

ReAwakened wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:47 am
B3bomber wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:26 am That's before the whole Voat was expensive to host problem.
Why was VOAT expensive to host?
Probably because the back end was slow and the whole thing was written in C# .NET and running on a Windows Server.