Is there real interest in a voat clone?

Information or requests regarding possible replacements for Voat

SharpSliceOfMango
Topic points (SCP): 13
Reply points (CCP): 21

Is there real interest in a voat clone?

Post by SharpSliceOfMango »

As the topic says "Is there real interest in a voat clone?"

With voat clone I mean same layout, design etc. Obviously without the existing content because only putt has the database.

I would do it without any of the existing source code. I would build everything from scratch and make it more anonymous, without IP logging etc. I have the skills to do this and I'm a free speech fanatic. I did some project planing and it would take me around 5-6 month to set up a solid back end and write all the code etc.

Let me know if some people are interested, then I would start this. Or would this be a dead project because there are alternatives like poal.co?
TheDonaldTrump
Topic points (SCP): 1
Reply points (CCP): 0

Re: Is there real interest in a voat clone?

Post by TheDonaldTrump »

I think so but wouldn't this be the better approach

Can someone ask Putt to handover the Voat Site & DB?
So that any other enterprising Goat can continue Voat.co under another domain name.

There was a torrent site called Nyaa.si and someone else could resurrect Nyaa.si since he had a backup of the site,database.

Not really a tech guy but I can help wherever need and also I am not asking myself as I'm not necessarily the most popular user(name).
viewtopic.php?f=5&p=39#p39
rainyday
Topic points (SCP): 1
Reply points (CCP): 0

Post by rainyday »

it doesn't have to be a clone, I'd rather see an imageboard setup with that community rather than another reddit clone
Germ22
Topic points (SCP): 7
Reply points (CCP): 32

Post by Germ22 »

poal is essentially a voat clone already. It was build by old goats when voat was in trouble a while ago.
Edit: I changed my mind about poal. it's shit!
Last edited by Germ22 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fateswebb
Topic points (SCP): 46
Reply points (CCP): 24

Post by Fateswebb »

Germ22 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:24 pm poal is essentially a voat clone already. It was build by old goats when voat was in trouble a while ago.
poal is putitouts site, which at this point I think its possible that putitout sold us out... to shut voat down.. so why should I use his new site so he can do that shit again? otherwise why is he abandoning the url??

THIS URL! shows this..
https://voat.co/v/whatever/4171434/26912802

https://archive.is/g2VWw
Amarilloverde
Topic points (SCP): 2
Reply points (CCP): 1

Post by Amarilloverde »

We have to focus on our goal.

1st . Would be possible to have a back up of most of the database?
2nd. Could #1, a bunch of us together working several months to build a workable low maintenance voat2?

#1 in what we could help you to reduce your amount of work?
Maybe searchvoat.co can also help.

If we divide the weight we can carrie it.

Still don't understand why he's never asked for donations....
SearchVoat
Topic points (SCP): 298
Reply points (CCP): 795

Post by SearchVoat »

Fateswebb wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:56 pm THIS URL! shows this..
https://voat.co/v/whatever/4171434/26912802
I think he's joking there... (i.e. anyone can claim anything)
Thisismyvoatusername
Topic points (SCP): 8
Reply points (CCP): 93

Post by Thisismyvoatusername »

Poal is not Putt's site. That was a joke. That said, poal has been known to censor content when the admins and mods get their panties twisted.

In response to the OP, I suppose I'd be interested in seeing a Voat clone, but frankly the site has gone downhill for 5 years. I spent as much time on it as I did mostly because of the psychological power of the sunk cost fallacy. I'd already put so much time i to it, I kept going back. There's no guarantee a new site would continue drawing me if almost half of the users were Qtards and close to another half just wanted to constantly praise Hitler and say nigger repeatedly.
Deleted User 5341

Post by Deleted User 5341 »

I mean sure? But what is the point even, we already have other clones which are basically free speech havens just like Voat was, the only thing they don't allow is lolis and I doubt you want that either, just go to Poal.co
Sloth
Topic points (SCP): 2
Reply points (CCP): 16

Post by Sloth »

SharpSliceOfMango wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:27 pm As the topic says "Is there real interest in a voat clone?"

With voat clone I mean same layout, design etc. Obviously without the existing content because only putt has the database.

I would do it without any of the existing source code. I would build everything from scratch and make it more anonymous, without IP logging etc. I have the skills to do this and I'm a free speech fanatic. I did some project planing and it would take me around 5-6 month to set up a solid back end and write all the code etc.

Let me know if some people are interested, then I would start this. Or would this be a dead project because there are alternatives like poal.co?
There is a great initiative like this that has been around for ages: https://notabug.io