"I have a better idea"
No votes

Total votes: 1
Rainy-Day-Dream
Topic points (SCP): 0
Reply points (CCP): 0

Meta: effective use of a BBS

Post by Rainy-Day-Dream »

I think it would make more sense to make threads with more general topics and then post new events and information in the replies rather than create a new post for anything and everything you want to say. Not only would this simply be more organized, it'd be more effective for discussing and informing oneself on any given topic as all the relevant information and users interesting in it would be in one place. Thus allowing for more meaningful engagement with the topic and other users of the site.

It's obvious that the style of posting that's generally used here is a hold over from posting habits on other sites like voat, however I think it'd be best to adapt and make the most of our current situation rather than try to use this forum the same way you'd use another site.
MrPim
Topic points (SCP): 87
Reply points (CCP): 122

Re: Meta: effective use of a BBS

Post by MrPim »

I think the problem there is that you're effectively turning a Sub into a Thread. The thread then grows to 20 pages long and no one reads the entire thing so much of that info is lost.

In the Sub model the Sub is the general topic and each thread is a subtopic. Those threads are often short and easy to consume. Even the long threads don't usually go to the 20pg mega thread size.

jmho
Folkov__
Topic points (SCP): 28
Reply points (CCP): 26

Post by Folkov__ »

MrPim wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:13 pm I think the problem there is that you're effectively turning a Sub into a Thread. The thread then grows to 20 pages long and no one reads the entire thing so much of that info is lost.

In the Sub model the Sub is the general topic and each thread is a subtopic. Those threads are often short and easy to consume. Even the long threads don't usually go to the 20pg mega thread size.

jmho
What you're saying this thread viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1260 should be separated in single topics?
MrPim
Topic points (SCP): 87
Reply points (CCP): 122

Post by MrPim »

Folkov__ wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:58 pm
MrPim wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:13 pm I think the problem there is that you're effectively turning a Sub into a Thread. The thread then grows to 20 pages long and no one reads the entire thing so much of that info is lost.

jmho
What you're saying this thread viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1260 should be separated in single topics?
Im not sure why you think that.
Folkov__
Topic points (SCP): 28
Reply points (CCP): 26

Post by Folkov__ »

The thread then grows to 20 pages long and no one reads the entire thing so much of that info is lost.

Even very very popular post will be forgotten in few days on VOAT/POAL but if this post is in popular 20 pages long thread it can be rediscovered by new fags months or years later.