kestrel9
Topic points (SCP): 1943
Reply points (CCP): 2881

Agree or disagree: U.S. "Has No Functioning Democracy"

Post by kestrel9 »

https://archive.ph/EsbLw

July 18, 2013
NSA Controversy: Jimmy Carter Says U.S. "Has No Functioning Democracy"

Former U.S. president Jimmy Carter is so concerned about the NSA spying scandal that he thinks it has essentially resulted in a suspension of American democracy.
Without getting into the case for or against whether he said those exact words (snopes note below), assume he did and looking back over the past 10 years, what say you all? Agree, disagree or too busy eating chicken tendies to care about the question? :D
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jimmy ... democracy/ (conclusion 'unproven' but could have happened).
“America does not at the moment have a functioning democracy,” he said at an event in Atlanta on Tuesday sponsored by the Atlantik Bruecke, a private nonprofit association working to further the German-U.S. relationship. The association's name is German for “Atlantic bridge.”
Carter’s remarks didn't appear in the American mainstream press but were reported from Atlanta by the German newsmagazine Der Spiegel, whose Washington correspondent Gregor Peter Schmitz said on Twitter he was present at the event. The story doesn't appear in the English-language section of the Spiegel website and is only available in German.

The 39th U.S. president also said he was pessimistic about the current state of global affairs, wrote Der Spiegel, because there was “no reason for him to be optimistic at this time.” Among the developments that make him uneasy, Carter cited the “falling of Egypt under a military dictatorship.” As president, Carter managed to get then-Egyptian president Anwar Sadat and Israeli prime minister Menachem Begin to sign the Camp David peace agreements in 1979.

Carter said a bright spot was “the triumph of modern technology,” which enabled the democratic uprisings of the Arab Spring; however, the NSA spying scandal, Carter said, according to Der Spiegel, endangers precisely those developments, “as major U.S. Internet platforms such as Google or Facebook lose credibility worldwide.”
For those who answered the latter (too busy eating chicken tendies to care) there's this:

There's a video! 7 Days ONLY EATING Chicken Tenders https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmke7CVhcvQ
shewhomustbeobeyed
Topic points (SCP): 246
Reply points (CCP): 2041

Re: Agree or disagree: U.S. "Has No Functioning Democracy"

Post by shewhomustbeobeyed »

agree, i think? i mean it's the peanut prez, so who knows?
Didn't you get your box of tendies? I sent them. We should check @argosciv and @Savesequim for crumb evidence.
kestrel9

Post by kestrel9 »

shewhomustbeobeyed wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:27 pm agree, i think? i mean it's the peanut prez, so who knows?
Didn't you get your box of tendies? I sent them. We should check @argosciv and @Savesequim for crumb evidence.
Of course I got them! I didn't mention that no other tendies and be compared to them because that would really put a target on your username as nosy greedy hungry folks might try to dox you or blackmail you for your recipe! :lol:

What?

2018 Dress Your Chickens in Leather and Lace This Halloween
https://jezebel.com/dress-your-chickens ... 1830006774
shewhomustbeobeyed

I knew that extra dash of powdered catnip would work. ;)
kestrel9

Post by kestrel9 »

shewhomustbeobeyed wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:54 pm I knew that extra dash of powdered catnip would work. ;)
Please tell me it's not the "catnip" that can cause couchlock! (saw it in a movie once :lol: )
shewhomustbeobeyed

kestrel9 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:59 pm Please tell me it's not the "catnip" that can cause couchlock! (saw it in a movie once :lol: )
As far as I can tell, you'll be alright. If you feel queasy at all, just lock yourself in the wine cave. Take mallet and keg spout with you. In case of spider emergency. You'll be just fine.