Homeless encampments set to explode across US

A place for major news from around the world
kestrel9
Topic points (SCP): 1943
Reply points (CCP): 2881

Homeless encampments set to explode across US

Post by kestrel9 »

Don't forget to scroll down to watch the video that takes a tour through west Oakland, CA. One camp includes a community trying to improve their lives and create jobs for themselves.

https://www.dcclothesline.com/2022/09/2 ... -violence/
kestrel9
Topic points (SCP): 1943
Reply points (CCP): 2881

Re: Homeless encampments set to explode across US

Post by kestrel9 »

phpBB [video]

Carlos lived in a sewer in the Freedom Tunnel in New York City. He is what many consider one of the mole people - a name given to the homeless who live in the tunnels beneath New York.

I first met Carlos in 2007, and visited him a number of times over a period of several months. He was part of a small group of people who had made homes for themselves in abandoned parts of an Amtrak train tunnel that runs under the West Side highway in New York City.

Carlos was very friendly. He showed me his home on several occasions, and invited me in at one point to help him fix his computer. He had an interesting life, and I am grateful he was willing to be on camera.

Carlos no longer lives in the Freedom Tunnel. A number of years ago the authorities removed all the people living in the tunnel, and cleaned up the area. The section of tunnel that Carlos and several other homeless people had chosen to live in is very different now.
Carlos took pride of 'ownership' of his space and kept things tidy. Not something you'd expect to find for someone who's home was in a sewer. The interviewer couldn't believe it was a sewer as there wasn't a smell. He went inside to help Carlos fix his computer.
Last edited by kestrel9 on Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.